Friday, June 17, 2016

Day 5: Six of My Kids are Part of a Silent Epidemic of FASD

Day 5



Day 5 of my quest of 90 Thoughts to help my good friend Jodee Kulp and her 90 Day FASD is Real campaign to raise awareness about a cause close to my heart. Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders.

I met Jodee Kulp at a Michigan Town Hall Meeting on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome back in the early 2000's. I learned from Jodee and her determination to help her daughter, but how she has spread her knowledge to help others with their children.  Jodee and the parents I have come to know, we are fighting in the trenches to not only raise awareness for FASD's but also for help and hope for our kids.  How over a decade later FASD's are gaining awareness, but there are still too many children living with this hidden disorder from the Silent Epidemic caused by Prenatal Alcohol Exposure.

My adopted kids were destined for a challenged life, long before they took their first breath. Their birth mothers challenges with their own developmental differences, their mental health issues and poverty along dealt with substance abuse issues.  My children affected by a hidden epidemic.

Thinking about what to talk about with today's topic, God gave me a great article to share. Today's blog post is short because I am sharing a couple of articles to help other understand. Caregivers who are parenting children with FASD be patient with me and my sharing, you already understand all too well the consequences of prenatal alcohol exposure.

The Hidden Epidemic of Hidden Brain Damage

Sharing a post from my family blog from 2013.

The Innocents... FASD ... Victims

I pray someday that we will not only stop this silent epidemic, but get the support, compassion and understanding for those who are living FASD.

Anny
To Learn More About FASD
Visit The National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderate and will be approved by administrator.